Cloverland Electric Cooperative was founded in 1938. Prior to 1936, much of rural America was without electricity. It wasn’t until the passage of the Rural Electrification Act, under President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal, that electricity would begin its move into America’s rural countryside. Electric cooperatives were organized to provide this service and make the dream of electricity on the farm a reality. When the lines were originally energized, Cloverland brought power to 1,090 co-op members. Today, the company serves approximately 42,000 accounts, including electric service to more islands than any other cooperative in the nation.